Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Promised Land

Now that I've been spending my free time trying to get published, I feeling sympathy for figures that I never thought I would. Andy and I are on a grand mission to read the bible cover to cover. We both scoffed at the Israelites who, time after time, turned against God on their exodus from Egypt. 

Seriously, Andy and I were like, "Come on, you got your signs from God. He saved you so many times. What more do you want? Why do you keep on doubting and turn away?"

And at times I feel that way about writing. I'm one of the un-savory Israelites. Instead of being happy, overjoyed with what I have, I keep on saying, "I'm not at the promised land yet. I thought you said you were going there. How much further? Aww man, we should have stayed in Egypt." 

I can't think of how many times I wished I didn't start writing because it made things too complex, and I was happy, or at least content without the self doubt. Or, people keep on telling me that I will get published, but it just seems like it's so far away. At times I feel like I'm wandering aimlessly trying to get published, but not knowing how to get there. 

At least the Israelites had a message from God saying, "Yes, you my chosen people, will get there." I have no such guarantee. So, as I stare at my kitchen that is in dire need of a good cleaning, and my baby, who is in dire need of a good cleaning, I'm wondering if I'm on the right track. Do I head back to Egypt or keep on wandering aimlessly around the desert? If you have an answer, let me know. Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment