Monday, April 6, 2009

Agent for a day

I was going to write about something else, but I just read Nathan Bransford blog and it totally caught my eye. For those who don't follow it, he's offering a challenge. Because there's so much criticism of Literary Agents now, he's offering the writers an opportunity to be an agent for a day. Basically, he will randomly send out 50 query letters, and as an agent you have to decide which ones to accept and which ones to reject, drafting your own letters. You can only acept 5 manuscripts out of the fifty.

Pretty neat idea. That's one way of walking in someone's shoes, but I don't think it does it justice. I think literary agents do a lot more than just sift through 50 emails. There's more of an emotional drain to the job.

I have a lot of respect for agents. I don't envy them at all. It's hard to close a door on someone's dream, and there are some agents who could do it with more finesse.

I'm thinking of taking up this challenge to see how I will do... if I can get this scene down first.

No comments:

Post a Comment