Friday, March 27, 2009

The Block

Did you realize that all major catastrophes are called one name. For instance, you have the holocaust, the plague, and 9-11. I would like to add one more for the writers. It's worse than the rejections, in my mind. It's the block. 

It's sitting at the computer or where ever you write and knowing the scene that must be written. You even know the scene that comes after it, but you can't move on until the scene is down on paper, so to speak... but inspiration doesn't come to you. Just just sit and watch the cursor waiting for the scene to unfold or the characters to speak to you. Little did you know your characters and brain are on siesta.

That's where I am right now. I'm on chapter 11 with 32k words behind me. We are well on our way, but the words just won't come. 

I now rely on my only hope, caffeine. For those who aren't acquainted with Vietnamese coffee's, it usually does the trick. It's like the coffee bean mainlined into your veins. But for those of us who are out in the boonies, it looks like option two. Diet coke and a 4 mile run. Hopefully by the end of the day, the scene will be done. Otherwise, it's another 4 mile run tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment